About Google Code-in 2018 @ OSC

(Michael Downey) #1

Google Code-in is a global, online contest introducing pre-university students ages 13 to 17 to the world of open source development. With a wide variety of bite-sized tasks, it’s easy for beginners to jump in and get started no matter what skills they have. Mentors from the DIAL Open Source Center’s participating organizations lend a helping hand as participants learn what it’s like to work on an open source project. Participants get to work on real software and win prizes from t-shirts to a trip to Google HQ!

The contest begins for students on October 23, 2018 at 09:00 (PDT)

The DIAL Open Source Center is an umbrella organization for GCI this year. That means we are a “host” for other open source software projects, all of which focus on international development and/or humanitarian response. This year, our sub-organizations will include one or more of our participating member open source projects, such as:

The following software projects are part of the Open Source Center “family” and may elect to participate in the coming days:

• InSTEDD
  • Bahmni
  • Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT)
  • Open Data Kit (ODK)
  • OpenLMIS
  • Medic Mobile
  • Public Lab
  • RapidPro
  • SUMSarizer

Please keep an eye on this topic over the coming days for updates about the program, how to connect with participating sub-organizations, and how to get started working on their tasks once the contest begins!

If you are a student with questions about GCI, feel free to reply to this topic. If you’d like your open source project to participate as part of our umbrella organization, please send a direct message here on the forum to @downey.

1 Like

(Michael Downey) pinned globally #3
0 Likes

(Saloni) #4

Hey @downey, I’d love to mentor this year for Mifos. Let me know if there are any issues I can work on before the official start of GCI-18 :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Michael Downey) #5

Hey @Saloni. Please contact @edcable from the Mifos project. He will be coordinating mentors for Mifos. Thanks!

1 Like

(Saloni) #6

Sure @downey. By the way, has any thread/forum/mailing list been created for Mentors of GCI-18 yet? Thanks.

0 Likes

(Robby O'Connor) #7

There is the zulip chat server for real-time communication during GCI. Also note: it is strongly advised that you have a track record with the project to mentor…if you’re just coming by without having a track record… I’d strongly advise @edcable to take pause to accept just anyone. Ultimately it is up to him to how to run his sub-org. I find it ill-advised to do so…but we all run Google Code-in differently.

2 Likes

(Ed Cable) #8

@robbyoconnor thanks for sharing that advice. We too follow the same policies in seeking a track record with the org prior to mentoring.

@Saloni thanks for expressing your interest in mentoring for the Mifos Initiative. Could you please give me some background on yourself and what categories of tasks you’d feel most capable of mentoring. From there, I can propose some tasks where you can best get involved with our community and begin establishing a track record so you could be better equipped to mentor.

Ed

3 Likes

(Saloni) #9

@edcable, Sure Ed. I have a background in contributing to Open Source in Documentation and HTML, CSS, JavaScript related issues. I’d love to get involved with some tasks before being accepted to mentor :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Anubhav Verma) #10

@downey Sir are there any example tasks for DIAL org in which i can practice or have an idea about coming tasks?

0 Likes

(Robby O'Connor) #11
  1. Do not use “sir/madam” – no formality is necessary.

2. Focus on honing your programming skills. We cannot give you sample tasks for DIAL – since DIAL is not organization itself…it’s instead made up of several sub-organizations. You can probably get a decent idea of the types of tasks based on the tasks from previous years

I suggest you have a read of our GCI Policies – which will outline how the contest will be run this year.

0 Likes

(Anubhav Verma) #13

Who will choose the winners? The sub-orgs or DIAL? @robbyoconnor

0 Likes

(Robby O'Connor) #14

This question is already answered. I recommend reading that document.

1 Like

(Michael Downey) #15

We’ll be making more public announcements about GCI as the start date gets a bit closer. Stay tuned!

0 Likes

(Saloni) #16

Hey @edcable, are there any tasks available in these domains? :slightly_smiling_face:

0 Likes

(Robby O'Connor) #17

Tasks cannot be made public prior to the start of the contest.

0 Likes

(Rupesh Krishna Jha) #18

Hi everyone,
I am Rupesh and I am a Full Stack Web Developer and Open Source Enthusiast having some experience in open source and contributing in mifos. I spend most of my time hacking on github (https://github.com/Rupeshiya)
I would like to become a mentor for GCI .So how can I proceed further to become a mentor ?
@edcable please tell me the process , I would love to guide the participants .

0 Likes

(Michael Downey) closed #19
0 Likes