OSI & FSF licenses needed for grants

(Sarah) #1

Hi there. I apologize for putting this question in what feels like the wrong place, but I’m having trouble understanding this system.
This question is in regard to the OSC Catalytic Grant Program - Round 3
We specifically have a questions regarding the following statement on the website:

• Must be licensed under an OSI approved or FSF free software license; proprietary software projects or projects with additional restrictions contrary to the [Open Source Definition] or [Free Software Definition] may not apply.

Our question is: can we apply to the OSC grant while we have a OSI application in progress and not completed?

Thank you,
Sarah

0 Likes

Nonprofit status needed for DIAL grants?
(Michael Downey) #2

Hi @sdurry, and welcome!

This requirement refers to the fact that the software project in question must (as of the time of application) be made available to the public under the terms of a software license already approved by the Open Source Initiative or the Free Software Foundation.

Listings of such licenses are available at:

If the project is not available under one of the licenses mentioned in the above list, it is not eligible for the grant.

It is not necessary to become a member or affiliate of either organization (OSI or FSF) in order to apply or be eligible for the grant.

I hope this helps! Feel free to follow up with additional questions if you have any.

0 Likes